"Sliver Livings of the Pandemic" Hong Kong Chinese & English Essay-writing Competition 2020
I. Aim of Activity
The outbreak of Coronavirus has brought significant impacts on our everyday life. We hope that everyone can express their inner feelings through writing to record these bittersweet experiences. The essay-writing competition aims at spreading positivity and building an even better Hong Kong together.
II. Organizer & Co-Organizer
Organizer：Hong Kong Children and Youth Arts Association
Co-Organizer：Hillstar Education Centre
1b. The bittersweet virus fight
2b. If and when the pandemic ends
IV. Formatting Requirements
- Participants are required to download the writing paper provided by the organizer and print it on an A4 paper (21cmx29.7cm).
- Participants must write on the designated writing paper with a blue or black ball pen.
- Handwriting must be neat and clean. Please do not write on both sides of the paper.
- Please clearly state the word count (excluding punctuations).
- Both Traditional and Simplified Chinese characters are accepted for Chinese Division.
V. Categories （Each category has a maximum capacity of 100 participants on a first-come-first-served basis.）
VI. Judging Criteria
Full Mark: 100
Appropriacy of Topic（5%）；Positive Concept and Ideas（25%）； Relevancy of Topic and Content, Rich Details and Descriptions（30%）； Clear Organization（10%）；Fluency（20%）； Appropriacy of Punctuations and Accuracy of Spelling（10%）
Ms. Kiki Chun
- Youth Literature Awardee
Mr. Adonic Lam
- Tutor of Hillstar Education
- BA. Philosophy and Chinese History, HKU
Mr. Jerome Ng
- BA, MA. Linguistics. HKU.
- Educational Column writer
Ms. Whitney Too
- Founder & Tutor of Hillstar Education
- Author of “Shine the Way You Are”
‘ Hong Kong Chinese & English Essay-writing Competition’
For Each Division - Primary (Junior, Intermediate and Senior), Secondary (Junior and Senior), Tertiary and Open Division:
‘ Hong Kong Outstanding Writers’
Participants submitting both Chinese and English compositions for all four topics with highest total marks will be awarded:
‘ Hong Kong Outstanding Writers’ Gold Prize: Certificate and HK $1500 Cash
‘ Hong Kong Outstanding Writers’ Sliver Prize: Certificate and HK $1200 Cash
‘ Hong Kong Outstanding Writers’ Bronze Prize: Certificate and HK $1000 Cash
*Participants must identify in the registration form that 4 entries are submitted.
‘Outstanding Teacher Guidance Award’
1）Invite 3 or more students to participate in the competition.
2）Students must put down the name, email and contact number of the teacher.
3）Teachers must submit ‘Outstanding Teacher Guidance Award’ participation form.
4）3 teachers with their respective students having the highest total marks will be awarded.
5) Certificate, HK$500 Cash and cordial invitation as the adjudicator for next year’s competition.
$230 for each entry (Each topic, Chinese and English counted separately)
Each participant may submit one entry per topic in Chinese and English (4 entries maximum).
X. Participation Method
1) Participants should fill in the following participation <<CLICK HERE >> form (Each form for 4 entries maximum).
‘Outstanding Teacher Guidance Award’- Filled in by Teachers <<CLICK HERE>>
2) Payment Method
Please screen capture the payment record. Put down participants’ English name and contact number and upload the payment record to the participation form.
3) Submission Methods:
Participants should download the writing form and submit the completed entries together by post or by online electronic form submission before 6th September.
A) Mailing Method Please submit the completed entries by posting (post ONLY) to
Address: Hong Kong Children and Youth Arts Association Room A-B, 12/F, Hang Seng Causeway Bay Building, 28 Yee Wo Street, Causeway Bay, Hong Kong
Submission should indicate: Hong Kong Chinese & English Essay-writing Competition 2020
B ) Online submission of electronic form (updated: 28.7.20) This form allows you to submit your essay to us. Please complete ALL required fields in the form. *Essay format: JPG/PNG/PDF only
XI. Link for Essay- Writing Forms
XII. Deadline for Application
31st August, 2020
XIII. Deadline for Essay Submission
6th September, 2020
XIV. Announcement of Results
1st October, 2020
XVI. Note for Participants
- Due to the pandemic, the award ceremony would not take place for this competition. All awards would be presented through mailing.
- All entries must be originally composed and written by the participant. All entries written by others on behalf of the participants would be disqualified.
- All entries would not be returned and the organizer owns the right to publish or exhibit the entries.
- Organizer reserves the right to amend the program of the rules and regulations.